A Trans Woman Hormone Therapy
Introduction | The Therapy Process | What worked (for a while) | In the end |Conclusion
The Therapy Process
WARNING 1: A HORMONE THERAPY MUST BE MADE WITH THE SUPPORT OF A GOOD ENDOCRINOLOGIST; AND IF YOU FEEL WHICH YOU NEED, A PSYCHOLOGIST FOR MIND SUPPORT. WHAT WORKED FOR ONE TRANS WOMAN MAY NOT WORK FOR OTHER, THAT DEPENDS ON EACH ONE ORGANISM. YOU CAN HAVE A BETTER EXPERIENCE, A WORST EXPERIENCE, OR EVEN COULD DIE. FOLLOW WHAT I WILL SPEAK AT YOU OWN RISK; AND DO NOT BLAME LATER IF IT DOES NOT WORK, CASE IN WHICH THE ONLY ONE TO BLAME WILL BE YOURSELF.
WARNING 2: SOME ENDOCRINOLOGISTS WILL REQUEST YOU TO HAVE THE "APPROVAL" OF A PSYCHOLOGIST ANYWAY.
The hormone therapy regitry of a physically frail trans woman of 1.63m, 50kg, 31 years, with migraines, slightly low blood pressure, mild autism and severe skin allergy to some foods and medications was as follows:
At first, my endocrinologist prescribed to me capsules of a manipulation pharmacy of the so called "Valerato de 17 beta estradiol" to deliver to my body estrogen, and the usual "spironolactone" to cut the testosterone (anti-androgen) because they are cheaper and more popular. For a while I did not had side effects as expected, my body start to change: My breasts started developing, the influence of the testosterone over my mind weakened and a whole new way of thinking germinated, the body fat started to leave the torso and arms and go to the thighs and rear, the waist got thinner, the skin softer... the pointers of the clock went back considerably for me. You can think which it was as expected, but depending on your organism your body will not change or change more than mine in the end; this is a process which take aroun 5 years. You have a few months to give up before the permanent loss of all or almost all of your fertility; some of the lesbian sexual orientation store their sperm if they want to have kids later, and there is always the possibility of adoption. With time it became obvious the following points about this Hormone Therapy (HRT) start:
- The capsules of the "17 beta estradiol valerate" interacted with my chronic headaches, making them more frequent to the point of the blood vessels to the side of my head becoming quite visible due to the high blood pressure. It was also put an extra load in my stomach, kidneys and liver as they needed to be diggested before going to the blood.
- Spironolactone makes you pee a lot, as its original purpose was not to change someone hormones, but instead to be a diuretic. The urine also had a bad smell, as it changes the urine composition (PH). That was something extremely not feminine.
- Spironolactone made eat as a condemned. As I was always was skinny I became pretty, but if I my weight was high I would end up overweight, and if you already is overwheight... I think you already understood the concept.
- As a diuretic it lowered my blood pressure; and as my blood by default already had a tendency to have low pressure my finger tips started getting purple and cold, not to mention the dizziness. Gladly for me, I stopped using this medication before fainting.
It was an unhappy result my first attempt, I even tried using a more expensive and less risky version of spironolactone called "Aldactone" to no avail. My endocrinologist did not gave up and had the knowledge to offer another options: For the estrogen he prescribed me "Natifa", a medication for women with problems with their estrogen levels and which came in a well designed package and with smaller pills. It was strange how Natifa did not boosted my chronic headaches as the capsules from the manipulation pharmacy. I also started using the anti-androgen known as "Androcur", a medication created for who have testoreno in excess, for the chemical castration of rapists or would be rapists among other applications. It is not diuretic, but something done specifically to change the hormone levels of someone; that is why it was better overall and did not caused frequent pee desire or hunger, neither the urine was stinky. Its package was also pretty and the pills small, but the problem of both were: They were expensive as hell.
- Androcur started messing with my mind, I started to among other things not write so well, to sometimes have incoherent thoughts, understand things wrong and to become more paranoid, agressive. It is officially documented which this medication could amplify depressive tendencies.
- About natifa and androcur, as the pills were still ingested they put an extra load upon my liver.
- As the pills of both were smaller, they were easier to swallow.
What worked (for a time)
I started using what is called "Sandrena Gel" from the manufacturer "Schering Plough" at the dosage of 1mg; but used four times a day. It comes with 24 sachets by box, not being too expensive neither too cheap for the quantity which a trans woman need daily. As natifa, it was made for the usage of women lacking estrogen due to the age or other causes; There is no medication just for trans women, as we are a market of few people. It is important to mention which it is also a medication which does not need a doctor prescription to be purchased.
Other points of interest regarding the medication called "Sandrena gel":
- He is similar to the estrogen adhesives which are easier to use but not always available, the difference being only which they come in sachets and which you must ensure by yourself which the gel had dried before letting that are enter in contact with any living being.
- You must distribute well the estrogen during the day, as if you use it all at once you will not have any by the end of the day or its beginning; depending on when you applied it. That will result in you getting fatigated.
- You must not apply it in the same area daily as the alcohol will dry your now delicate skin and will overload its chemical receptors. In each day you must apply at only one of the following areas, left or right: inner arms or inner thighs. Those areas are better because the skin is thinner and have more blood vessels.
- To instead of using two areas to use only one daily, you can apply "layers" of gel. How that would work? For example, you will apply 2 sachets at one of the arms and will wait for it to dry before applying other 2 sachets in the same area. The second layer will reactivate the first dried layer and will transmit its own dose of estrogen.
- I recommend cutting with scissor the sachets after most of the gel had left it, to access the gel which always remain inside it. The manufacturer includes an extra quantity beyond 1mg because he calculated which many would not open the sachet to use that hidden amount which always remain. You can do different though, and your money will be better spent.
- As radiation, if any living being enter in contact with the gel not yet dry, this living being will receive an involuntary dose of estrogen. Do not do it. I use plastic gloves to avoid the contamination of my hands.
- The gel takes a long time to dry, and you will be limited until it happens. It is a estrogen delivery method which required careful planning of your schedule, use that time to do other things. Even after it dries, it is recommended to leave it a few hours there, as the estrogen will still be entering your skin albeit at a lower rate. It enters blood vessels by means of the alcohol which gives this product its strong smell. It opens the pores and allow the estrogen to go in, and by entering slowly it better simulates how it would be receiving estrogen as a biological woman, making it less dangerous.
- Things such as sweat, creams and sun blockers do not react well with the absorbed estrogen inside your skin. The result is a weird mixture.
- It is a little troublesome to wash the dried gel, as it becomes a kind of plastic which will hardly come out with just one bath. The people who see you will think which you have a skin disease which make your skin peel out, but in fact it will be just plastic. You can use long sleeves or skirts to cover that if desired.
- If you feel your body weaken with 4 sachets a day, decrease to 3 or 2. The only way to avoid using so many sachets is with a gender confirmation surgery. The less sachets you use the more you will lose female traits, specially if you cannot use anti-androgens.
- It will not be put an extra load in your liver or stomach as you will not be swallowing the pills, but your skin will be actually "drinking" it. It will still pass through your kidneys though.
A hint I give is to feed well, so your body have enough fat to give you a better female shape. I do not care much as I like to fit the skinny "nerd lolita" stereotype, but even so my body still had significant changes.
The above mentioned dosage of estrogen worked for a time, but eventually I discovered which I had 5 stones in my vesicle when I made a medical appointment about digestive discomfort, and I had to take them out as soon as possible as I said at other article. It did not took me long to discover which it was caused by the excess of estrogen, and I asked myself what more hidden side effects my hormone therapy was having. My endocrinologist asked me to once more use androcur but at a minimum dosage, as my testosterone was still above that of a woman with 3 sachets of 4 of sandrena gel. For a while it worked, but I eventually started feeling the same side-effects wihich made me stop to use androcur in the past; with the difference which now I could not use extra estrogen to make up for it. IF my hormone therapy was incomplete before, now it was even more so and soon I shall lose part of the female traits I acquired. My body once more entered a period of hormonal instability and that causes negative physical and mental effects, the situation is not worse because I can still use 2 sachets a day.
So, this was my hormone therapy before the gender confirmation surgery, something which every trans women dream of but not all can achieve or achieve with good results. In my case it is an urgent necessity due to the mentioned above, but I expect to do it this year (2022) or the next.
Last Updated: 2022/02/13